Alrosa expects to reach its production goal of 39 million carats for 2017, despite a flood that has shut down its Mir deposit in Siberia, the Russian miner said this week.
Eight workers are still missing at Mir after its underground section flooded on August 4, when water seeped in from an open-pit mine above it. Alrosa plans to use other mines to compensate for the decline in output from Mir, which yielded around 2 million carats in the first half of 2017 — 11% of its total output.
“[Taking into account] the production redistribution and increase in the production at other sites, Alrosa has not adjusted the production plan for this year so far,” a company statement said.
It was unclear how long the mine would remain closed and how the closure would affect the company’s operations. Alrosa plans to redeploy workers from Mir to other production centers, it said.
Meanwhile, rescue operations were ongoing, although the company called off efforts on Tuesday in one section of the mine where four workers were thought to be trapped.
“Our most important task now is to try to rescue the miners, so the rescue operation continues and will continue as long as it is necessary and possible in the conditions of the underground mine,” Deputy Prime Minister Yury Trutnev said in the statement.
As of Tuesday, rescue workers were expecting to reach the possible location of the other missing miners in one-and-a-half to three days, according to Trutnev.